Saturday, March 27, 2010

First MUSAS Peru Workshop on Gender and Sexuality



MUSAS Peru held our first workshop on gender and sexuality on the 25th of March. I was blown away by the fact that the majority of the 16 participants from this Catholic university were queer. They were a feisty group--not afraid to share their stories of pain and triumph. They were also on top of the latest theories of gender and sexual identity. I was impressed!!

We used tonglen meditation, theater games, drawing, and other creative techniques. We created a safe space where students were able to play hard, go deep, and express themselves. I was thrilled to meet so many courageous, young Peruvian queers. I left the workshop feeling high about the healing, transformational, revolutionary work we are doing through MUSAS Peru, in educating and empowering women and the queer community on issues of gender, sexuality, and sexual health--musasperu.org.

1 comment:

  1. Amber,
    When I was in the Philippines working on films I also was amazed at the percentage of people in film business, director's crew, production staff, actors/actresses, who were gay/lesbian (as a non-queer it would probably be improper to use that, as a 'half-breed' I use that term for myself-but also don't care if other use it for me.)
    Artists seem to have many from the community, must be genetic maybe?

    Some of my very close friends included every aspect, even had one 'gay friend' become, well a transgender but in those early days in the late 70's it was trans-sexual. His/Her boyfriend from Hong Kong paid for the series of operations. I was staying at a boarding house for a year at the time, and the landlord was his brother. We talked much on the emotional process of changing. Afterwards, Jammie was well on her way to adjusting to being a woman. What bravery. I also learned a lot from my lesbian friends that was very useful...Oh, no, someone might find this comment. LOL

    I will order a DVD soon. I have always enjoyed music from different ethnic places. Just last week I saw Yo-Yo Ma in Seoul performing some of his Silk Road Ensemble. WOW.

    Wish to do a link story on you later.

    ReplyDelete