Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lima impressions

So I arrived in Peru on Feb 15th. To live here. For some time.
If you are wondering why, you're not alone. I have been asking myself the same question pretty much every day since I arrived.

I am in Lima, the capital. I have never been in a city with so many shades of grey in the sky. It is rare to see the sun. This city of 9 million is so congested and polluted from old vehicles--the smog is thick and burns the throat. There is no subway. The government is in the process of building a new fleet of cleaner burning buses and a new bus lane. The problem is that they're not going to ban old vehicles that run on diesel and that would never pass a smog test. Then only the rich would drive.

So back to my question of what am I doing in this smog-filled city? Perhaps it's my migratory pattern established since birth of moving every 2-3 years to a new place. But mainly I'm here because I fell in love with a Peruvian woman, and have always wanted to get fluent in Spanish and live in South America.

For now, I chalk it up to adventure.

After Liz finishes her course in sexual health in 3 weeks, we will move to Cusco in the mountains. Cusco is at 11,000 feet in the Sacred Valley, close to Machu Picchu.

My main dreams here are:
1. to educate and empower Peruvians about sexuality/gender/sexual health through a new organization I am creating with Monica Coronado and my girlfriend Liz Cabrel. Through participatory workshops (incorporating expressive arts and mindfulness practices as well as information about sexual anatomy/STIs/self breast exams/patient empowerment) we hope to give women and the queer community an opportunity to explore topics that are taboo.
2. to learn new music and re-deepen my relationship to my creativity through writing, music, and film
3. to slow down and enjoy life

Hope you enjoy the blog!
Tigresa

2 comments: